One of the most common questions asked when deploying a new computer with ConfigMgr is
How do I give the computer a name during OSD Deployment?
The answer is surprisingly simple…
- Open the ConfigMgr Console and go to Device Collections.
- Right click on the “All Unknown Computers” Collection and click the “Collection Variables” tab. Click on the “New” button (the one that looks like a star!) to open the “<New> Variable” dialog
- Under “Name” enter: OSDComputerName
- Don’t assign any values and clear the “Do Not Display this value in the Configuration Manager console” toggle box
- Click OK to save and close the dialog
- Your new variable will now be shown in the list and ready for use when you next boot up a new computer that is not know to ConfigMgr (by that I mean its not listed under “Devices”…)
If you DON’T see this then it may be worth checking that you have setup your PXE-Enabled Distribution Point to Enable Unknown Computer Support